Recently we had a little bonfire party on the beach nearby in Half Moon Bay - completele with delicious Cali Style Shrimp Po Boys, Hawaiian Ahi Poke Dip, and Nectarine & Heirloom Tomato Salad - and it gets really really chilly once the sun starts to go down here in NorCal. So we needed something that warm us up but was still a festive party drink! This is fun twist ot make a childhood classic of hot cocoa appropriate for grownups! A little sweet, a little spicy, and some yummy Don Julio Tequila to warm you to the bones!
- 3 cups almond milk or whole milk
- 5 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unrefined cane sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (go up to 1/4 teaspoon if your taste buds can take the heat!)
- 3 ounces of Don Julio Tequila (Reposado)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Other optional garnishes: whipped cream and ground cinnamon
- Start by warming the milk in a saucepan on medium heat, keeping a careful eye on it.
- Stir in the chocolate and sugar.
- Heat until the ingredients all dissolve, occasionally whisking.
- Add the Cayenne Pepper to taste.
- Pour into 2 large mugs and about 1 1/2 ounces of Tequila to each. (you can do more if you're really in the mood to party!)
- Optional garnishes: whipped cream, ground cinnamon, and a cinnamon stick to stir it.
Check out our fun driftwood picnic set up for the party - with fun accents from Pottery Barn like pillows, plates, and napkins!
Photography by Christina Richards
How did your "adult" hot chocolate turn out? Did you serve it a party or special event? For more fun recipe ideas, be sure to follow us on Instagram and share your photos with us on there by tagging @CampMakery!