Summer is right around the corner and for me that means making yummy treats, that won't break the health bank. This simple recipe is a twist on an old favorite, loading it with extra healthy goodness (a.k.a. full healthy fats, omega 3's, and flavor explosion!) No matter where I am, banana bread takes me "home" and this is a welcomed version of an old friend. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do...it doesn't last long, because I can hardly stay out of it! Making it is a true treat :) eating it is merely a slice of heaven.
- 3 bananas 2 ripe 1 medium
- 4 eggs ½ c coconut flour ¼ c flax seeds
- 2 tsp vanilla 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ c walnuts
- ½ c banana chips
- 3 Tlb coconut oil
- 3 Tlb butter pinch of salt
1) Preheat oven to 350˚ bake for 45 minutes
2) Mash two ripe bananas
3) Slice the third banana
4) Add eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and stir
5) Melt butter and coconut oil and add to mixture
6) Add flax seed, coconut flour, walnuts, and banana chips, stir to incorporate.
7) Pour in greased loaf pan and smooth
8) Bake for 30 minutes and check, bake additional 15 minutes or until you can test clean with a toothpick.
9) Let sit in pan to cool for 20 minutes then remove and serve.
For simple additions that bring big flavor, try chocolate chips, or serving with almond butter!
*note about coconut flour: it is really absorbent, if you try substituting it for regular flour you will ¼ of what the recipe calls for.
Do you have a favorite addition to banana bread? Show and tell us on our CampMakery Facebook!